Printing a Book can seem daunting to those who have never done it before. There are so many choices to make and options to consider, it’s hard to know where to start! At Digital City Printing we can help you from the basics of book printing to everything you need to know to produce a high-quality book. So, whether you’re a first-time author or an experienced publisher, read on for all the information you need to get started!
Printing in-house can be a hassle, especially if you’re not familiar with the process or don’t have the time to do it yourself. Not only is printing in-house more expensive and time-consuming than using a professional printing service, but it can also lead to botched jobs and ruined prints.
Digital City Printing is here to help. We offer high-quality custom book printing services at an affordable price. With many years of experience, we know how to get the job done right – every time.
Book Printing Process
Book printing is the process of transferring text and images to paper or other materials. The first step in this process is to create a digital file of the book, which is then sent to a printer. Book printers typically use either offset printing or digital printing technologies. Offset printing is the more traditional method, and it involves using metal plates to transfer the ink onto the paper. Digital printing, on the other hand, uses lasers, inkjet or liquid ink printers to print the book directly onto the paper. One advantage of digital printing is that it can be used for short run book printing, which is when only a small number of copies are printed. This type of printing is often used for books that are not expected to sell very well, or for testing purposes. Short run book printing can be a great way to save money on print costs, and it can also be used to print books on demand, which means that there is no need to store any inventory.
We produce high-quality prints on a variety of paper stocks, including coated and uncoated stock, as well as recycled paper. Book printing is a complex process that involves many steps, from design and layout to prepress, press, and post-press.
Book printing is an important part of the publishing industry. Book printers produce printed books for publishers, which are then distributed to booksellers. Booksellers sell printed books to consumers. The publishing industry is a complex supply chain that involves many different players, from authors and illustrators to designers and book printers. Book printing is an essential part of this supply chain, and book printers must be experts in their field in order to produce the best possible product for their customers.
Book Binding Process
Bookbinding is the process of physically assembling a book from an ordered stack of paper sheets that are folded together into sections or sometimes left as a stack of individual sheets. The stack is then bound together along one edge by either sewing with thread through the folds or by a layer of flexible adhesive. For protection, the bound stack is either wrapped in a flexible cover or attached to stiff boards. Finally, a decoratively printed cover sheet may be added to complete the book. Bookbinding is a specialized craft that requires a variety of skills and techniques. Depending on the type of book, different bindings will be used. Some of the most common types of books and their bindings are listed below.
- -Saddle stitch: A type of binding often used for pamphlets, newsletters, and other short-run publications. The stack of folded pages is aligned and stitched together at the spine with thread. Staples may also be used to secure the pages in place. This type of binding typically allows the book to lie flat when opened.
- -Perfect Binding: A softcover binding is a type of binding that uses flexible cover materials, such as paper or laminated paper. Perfect binding is a type of binding that is commonly used for paperback books. The pages and cover are glued together at the spine, and the spine is then trimmed to create a smooth, flush edge. Perfect binding is a fairly simple and inexpensive way to bind a book, which is why it is often used for mass-produced paperbacks.
- -Case Binding / Hard Cover binding: A type of binding often used for hardcover books. The pages are first glued together at the spine and then sewn along the fold with thread. The folded and sewn pages are then fitted into a “case” made from cardboard which is then covered in printed paper, cloth or leather. This type of binding is more expensive but results in a more durable book.
Bookbinding is an ancient craft that has evolved over time to meet the changing needs of society. By understanding the different types of bindings, you can better appreciate the work that goes into each book you read.
Most Popular Size of Books We Print
Size does matter when it comes to books. A thick, hardcover book might look impressive on your coffee table, but it can be a pain to lug around with you on vacation. And while a slim paperback might be easy to throw in your purse, it might not provide the same level of satisfaction as a novel with some heft. So, what’s the best size for a book? It all depends on your personal preferences and reading habits. If you like to read in bed or on the couch, a larger book might be more comfortable to hold. If you like to take your books with you on the go, a smaller size might be more convenient. And if you want to make a statement, an oversized book is sure to turn heads. Ultimately, the best size for a book is the one that feels just right in your hands.
Book Printing comes in many different shapes and sizes. Here are some of the most popular book sizes:
- -5.5 x 8.5 inches: This is an economy size for self-published books. It is the half Size of Standard US Letter Size Paper.
- -6 x 9 inches: This is a common size for paperback books. It is also the standard size for hardcover journals and notebooks.
- -8.5 x 11 inches: This is the standard size for letter-sized paper, making it a popular choice for textbooks and manuals.
- -11 x 17 inches: This size is common for posters and large format books. It is also the standard size for engineering drawings. Not all kinds of Binding methods bound this size, so please discuss with our sales team before start designing your book.
- -Custom Sizes: We can also print custom book sizes up to 11 x 11 inches. This means if you have any size which not listed such as 5 x 8, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 8 x 8, 8.5 x 8.5, 9 x 9 or 10 x 10 or any other sizes in between we could print and bind them using our softcover or hardcover binding method.
- Larger sizes such as 13 x 19 inches and 17 x 22 inches are also available, but these are less common due to the increased printing costs. Please discuss with our sales team before proceeding with the design.
Full Service Rush Book Printing NYC
At Digital City Printing, we can handle all aspects of your custom book printing project. From an initial consultation with our experienced team through to receiving your professionally-printed books right on your doorstep, you can count on us to provide you with the highest quality materials and services. Our experienced graphic design team can help you with book design and layout, setting up your manuscript in a professional format before digital printing. We also provide photo retouching, color correction, pre-press and press checks, proofing and quality control every step of the way. Additionally, our graphic artists can help you design a book cover and we offer a variety of binding, cover and finishing options. We can even print marketing collateral, such as posters and flyers, to help you promote your book.
Our digital book printing capabilities allow you to enjoy sharp, vivid color and crisp, easy-to-read text printed on premium paper stock. We offer consistent quality that gets your book noticed and can provide you with short-run book printing, rush book printing and even on-demand book printing.
Our goal is to meet your book printing needs, whatever they may be. For example, our custom book printing capabilities offer options such as vivid color, greyscale or black and white print, custom sizes, landscape or portrait orientation, hard or soft covers, custom bindings, laminated pages and more.
Self-Publishing of Book
One of the greatest benefits of our high-quality book printing services is the ability for just about anyone to have a book printed. Our digital book printing capabilities allow you to print as few or as many books as you need. This is ideal for individuals looking to test the waters or gauge interest in their writing, as well for schools, organizations and businesses in need of specific types of printed books for a variety of purposes.
We print books for the following:
Types of Books Printed
There is virtually no limit to the types of custom books we can print. Our high-quality digital book printing utilizes advanced HP Indigo equipment to print retail quality books. This makes us equally effective at producing books to sell as well as printing books of yearbook online for personal use or to use internally within a business or organization. Either way, you can enjoy a professionally printed book that you can be proud to share.
Some types of books printing services include:
Custom Books Printed and Delivered in NYC
Having your book printed in NYC is easy! We are conveniently located in midtown Manhattan if you want to stop in to meet with one of our graphic design experts or have a consultation with us about printing your lookbook. If you have a print-ready file ready to go, you can simply send it to us online and we’ll print your custom book according to your exact specifications. Once complete, you can pick up your books or have them delivered right to your door. We have book binding options also.
Our printed book delivery services cover the boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island. Neighborhoods serviced by delivery include the Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Lincoln Square, Yorkville, Lenox Hill, Clinton, Theatre District, Hells’ Kitchen, Garment District, Chelsea, Midtown South, Kips Bay, Gramercy Park, Stuyvesant, Medial City, Tudor, Beekman, Sutton and Central Park areas, among others. We also offer shipping anywhere in the United States.